Sunday, February 14, 2016

Miss Grumpypants

This post is brought to you by hangry. In an attempt to veer myself back on track, I decided that a 3-day detox sounded like a super idea. I'm a day and a half in, and I.Am.Hungry! Which has evolved into hangry. As it turns out, when you're running, your body expects some food. Mine seems mad at me and my tummy sounds like a dying whale pleading for some nourishment.

That's perhaps a bit dramatic. Moving right along.

I have two big goals this year. Like, guys. If I can accomplish these, it will literally feel like the most amazing acomplishment of my life to date. The first one is to run a half-marathon. The second is to hit 125 pounds. You guys know the whole weight-loss story. On my 30th birthday, I made a goal of 125. I didn't have any idea what that looked like because I am pretty sure I didn't even weigh that in high school. I hovered somewhere around 130 pre-knee injury. But that was the goal. And I'm so close. In MN, I got down to around 133 (though 135 was the norm) and then fall, and Europe, and the holidays happened, and now I'm stuck at 140.

(we're friends here, right? I can totes tell you that.)

Anyway, I'm feeling all the annoyance at that number right now. Thus, detox = better diet moving forward. I know I've got this. But I want it NOW.

The whole running thing. Ugh. So I'm running 3 days a week. And I'm steadily adding on distance. But it sucks. Like, OMG. The last 3 runs I've noticed that at mile 2.6 my body is all, "Okay. We're done here." and feels like it wants to collapse into a pile of jello on the sidewalk (piggyback rides home, anyone?). If I push through that and make it to 3, then I'm okay. And by okay, I mean my legs are yelling and I'm sweating and pink and uncomfortable. I saw a girl today running and she looked like a Victoria's Secret model with her gentle glisten and perfect swaying ponytail. And I said some VERY ugly things to her in my head as she passed. And I didn't even feel bad. (Give me a break. Need.Food.) So today was a 4 mile run, which is my longest to date. And I'm super proud of that. But I am slow. So very slow. I'm much faster on a treadmill, though still not fast. I know that'll improve as I continue to run though. And actually, my pace today was faster than my pace last week for 3.5 miles. So, silver linings? But I can't even fathom running a half-marathon? Literally. Today around 3.5 I was fighting off walk breaks and kept thinking of when I couldn't run a quarter of a mile. That gave me the energy to push through, because though 4 miles still isn't a crazy distance, it's a good distance for me. I'll keep taking it a half mile increase at a time, and we'll see what happens. My first 10K is in May, and that in and of itself will be quite the accomplishment. Like, there may be tears. Because when you're red and sweaty and your hair is gross, why not throw something else into that mix of absolute beauty and perfection? Ha!

Also, I've been postponing adding in Crossfit, but I start on Tuesday, and I'm all the nerves about that. It's intimidating. But it makes me feel strong, and I know it'll help push me towards both big goals for this year. One of these days, when I'm married and chasing littles around, I won't have time for that. So now is a good time. Plus I always eat better when I'm intensely sore :)

Okay, rant off. Time to knock out some homework and dream about the steamed veggies and egg whites I get to consume in an hour and a half. It's ridic to be that excited about solid food, but y'all don't even know.

No comments:

Post a Comment