Thursday, May 1, 2014

A Bittersweet Day

Today has been such a bittersweet day, all the way around.

It really began yesterday morning when I received the news that a man I grew up with passed away. We went to church together, and every Sunday for more years than I can remember began with the biggest, tightest bear hug ever, and a piece of candy from his suit pocket. He always wore strong cologne, and I smelled like him the rest of the day. He was one of those people that could brighten the day, and always make me laugh, and although I eventually changed churches, every time I saw him I was greeted with the same familiar hug and smell of cologne. He was very, very special to me.

On top of this sad news, today was a coworker's last day at the office. Tim and I have worked together for 3+ years, and he is awesomely fantastic. He's hilarious, and we all laugh all day long. We took him out for lunch to a local Mexican place he loves, and on the way out I pointed out someone's jacket. Apparently, his shoe laces were untied, and he tripped in the most dramatic fashion I've ever seen. It looked like slow motion and he was trying desperately not to go down all the way, so he sortof ran out of the fall and managed to uproot a bush in front of the entire, very full patio. Because we are awesome friends, we didn't ask if he was okay before we went into full blown, hysterical laughter. He was standing there, holding the bush, and it was the funniest thing I have seen in a very long time. We all literally laughed so hard we were crying and couldn't breathe. The good belly laugh. And let me tell you, after the last couple of days, I needed it. It was the perfect, most appropriate exit for Tim. He went out making us laugh, business as usual. I sure will miss him, and I gave him a great big hug before he left, but I'm sure I'll have no shortage of jokes and Mexican lunch dates in the future.

On the way home from work I ran by Whole Foods, and decided in the midst of the crappy week I've had, to splurge on some beautiful flowers. Flowers make everything better always, right? Even if the photos are the worst ever (thank you reliable iPhone), you'll have to trust me, they are stunning.

 
 
I finished the day off at the visitation of the man who passed away. While I know he is celebrating in Heaven tonight, it was hard to see him. It was, however, wonderful to see many people that I haven't seen in a very long time. I found out that he passed away peacefully in his sleep, after a good day, and I couldn't have asked for anything better.
 
I feel emotionally exhausted, and I'm looking forward to some much needed quiet time, sunshine, and walking over the weekend. Four days down, one to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment