Friday, August 29, 2014

Introduction to Minnesota

I spent last weekend in MN apartment hunting. I was really, really nervous to arrive since I accepted the job prior to ever visiting the state. My biggest fear was getting there, hating it, and feeling consumed with regret about my decision.

My first impression breaking through the clouds on the plane was "holy cow - water!" Everywhere. It was beautifully green, and whatever I had imagined the Twin Cities looking like, they weren't quite as intimidating or concrete as I had envisioned.



I drove through downtown Minneapolis before dinner, and got a feel for the city. It's absolutely lovely. The newer buildings are surrounded by much older, worn architecture via churches, and apartments, and the intricate detailing is breathtaking. I have the urge to photograph everything, but I know that even the most skilled photographer couldn't appropriately capture the details that make the things I love exquisite. The landscaping is old, and up from the middle of the concrete tower big trees that command attention. The side streets remind me of the street my grandparents lived on while I was growing up - older homes, all unique, with tree lined streets and sidewalks, and alleys in the back. I could have spent hours strolling them and admiring the ivy covered homes, and I'm sure that I will before long.

I ate dinner outside on a patio in the most perfect weather, with really good company. And I ended day one absolutely in love with my new home.

Over the weekend I went to a food and music festival with some new friends, and enjoyed awesome food, beer, and really good music. People here are expressive - tattoos, piercings, crazy hair and hippie style everywhere. My braids and do-what-they-want curls will fit right in. I also had a bit of fun with my overly worried daddy, which I'm sure I enjoyed more than he did!



Sunday I explored some more. I tried to find Minnehaha Falls, but wasn't successful. My GPS wasn't taking me there, but I ended up at Lake Nokomis instead, which was fantastic. Parking is tricky here. I'm not used to being in a place where there is ample street parking, so I'm not sure where I'm allowed to park. I drove around for a bit and finally found a parking lot, and a trail right by the water. I walked for quite awhile and stumbled upon a little restaurant right around lunch time, which was perfect. Not a bad view at all!


On the way back to my car I passed a pier and saw several men fishing so I decided to go talk to them. I chatted it up for about twenty minutes, and they showed me the fish they had caught, and even let me cast the line. Everyone here is ridiculously nice - very much like home. These accents though! I must sound as foreign to them as they do to me.

Being there helped me narrow down the area I wanted to be in, so as I was driving around I added several places to my list that hadn't originally been on there. Two of the places didn't have openings until the November/December timeframe, and that just didn't work, but one place had an opening in early October, so I made an appointment Tuesday. I had already looked at five places, but this was the one I wanted to love. The location was absolutely ideal, and just south of the city, which is exactly what I wanted. I walked in, and breathed a sigh of relief as I realized that it was absolutely perfect. Bay window, lots of kitchen storage, stainless appliances, washer and dryer in unit, underground parking, and a great big closet. I put a deposit on it within 15 minutes of walking in. It should be ready by October 10th, so I will be camped out in a hotel for a couple of weeks since I'm moving sooner, but that's totally okay.

I'm feeling so very excited about this move. I can't believe I'm even going to say this, but I already miss it. I have so much exploring to do when I get back, and I.Cannot.Wait.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for stopping by my blog! I KNOW I need to update it! Hehe. Just need the motivation.
    SO, I live in western Wisconsin, only about 1 1/2 hours from you. Welcome--you will LOVE it. People over here are typically more easygoing, go-with-the-flow, and super sweet. Enjoy the relaxation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can do this! It sounds awfully exciting and a bit nerve wracking, but it sounds like the perfect place for you!

    ReplyDelete