Monday, October 13, 2014

Eating Healthy In A Hotel

At the request of my readers...

(let's be real, my mom and bestie are my readers)

((hi mom, hi jenn))

I thought I'd walk through what my attempts to eat healthy in a hotel look like. People tend to be curious about my diet. Friends and family that have watched me shed close to 60 pounds are constantly asking questions about how I'm doing it. Do you want to know the secret?

Eat healthy. And exercise.

The book Eat To Live really transformed my way of thinking about food, so I tend to favor a low-fat, plant based diet. That's how I've lost the majority of my weight. And that's when I feel the best. But I'm not perfect, and I've eaten my fair share of not-so-ideal food while I've been in Minnesota. I'm absolutely trying, and despite the mess-ups, I'm certain I've lost some weight since arriving. I'm not sure how much since my scale is packed up with the rest of my belongings, but the pants I bought about a month ago are now too big, and this weekend I had to go down a size (YAY for single digits now!). I move into my apartment this week, and I'm anxious to weigh and see just how much.

I'm staying in an extended stay type hotel, so there is a full refrigerator and microwave here. Since I've been here three weeks this week, I've been to the grocery store several times. The first trip I didn't take a picture of, but I got similar items to the ones below. I also grabbed some almond butter, and frozen Amy's burritos.

 
Trip two included bananas, pumpkin seeds, romaine, apples, pitas, hummus, Larabars, prepped veggies and sauerkraut. Normally I would buy veggies and chop them up myself, but without good knives and a veggie peeler, I let them do it for me.

 
 
Trip three included grapes, a variety of mostly green juices (Suja and Evolution are my favorite brands for these), more veggies, herbed sweet potatoes, more hummus, salsa, and a spring roll.

I've been doing LOTS of wraps and/or salads with romaine, salsa, hummus, and red onion.

 
I've also been doing almond butter, banana, and dark chocolate chip wraps, because they are amazing. And also, my countertops are the color of my food. That's not weird at all.
 
 #yesitisweird #wheredidmytortillago
 
 
Easy foods are helping me stay on track! And I've still been celebrating my love of pumpkin everything - tis the season y'all!



I've eaten at Jimmy Johns a handful of times (it's close to work AND my hotel), and I love their veggie sandwich! I usually get it on wheat bread, hold the mayo, and add sprouts. It's absolutely delish! And a life-saver for lunch since I've not been faithfully bringing mine in! I'm excited to unpack my Tupperware and transition back to my usual salad and fruit.

I may try and write a "what I ate" post weekly - that'll give you a glimpse into what my typical day of food looks like. The above selections are yummy, but not really typical. I usually cook much more than I am right now. And with cold weather creeping in, I know I'll be living off of soups and stews. If that happens, I may post some of my favorite recipe links, too. That'll get you guys up and running with some Kris-approved yummies!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you!!! Seriously-keep it coming! Can't wait for you to get moved in and to see what else you have cooking. (Hehe) 😄 -Jenn

    ReplyDelete